Sunday, March 30, 2008

Wallace and Ladmo, KRUX, and the Monkees!

The other day, I was watching some show, I can't even recall which one now, but someone made a reference to Wallace and Ladmo!

Wow, instant walk down memory lane.
Not just because Ron and I used to love to watch the Wallace and Ladmo Show, but the mere mention of the show made me think of the 60s, Phoenix, AZ, canals, KRUX-AM 1360 radio station, and the Monkeemobile!

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what all these things have in common. Well, Wallace and Ladmo were just the kick start that took me back to Phoenix, which took me to the canals where we sometimes played, which took me to the very day we were playing in the canals out near the KRUX radio station when the monkeemobile came to town!

A bit of history: For a time in the 60s, we lived in Phoenix, AZ. Our dad had bought a gas station there which he called Grover Noe's Texaco. It was really a family business, with our mom and uncle working there as well and sometimes a cousin or two. That left Ron and I with plenty of time on our hands after school, on weekends, and during the summer when we didn't have to go and hang out at the gas station. Now, don't get me wrong, we had a lot of fun hanging out at Grover Noe's Texaco, but we also really enjoyed days we got to stay home and run with the neighborhood kids.

One of the "in" things to do was explore the canals, and many times, swim in them. Now, first, we weren't supposed to, and second, the term swim is being used loosely here. What really happened was the older kids would toss us in the canal and the current would grab us and send us flying along where other older kids waited to fish us out! As I think back on those days, it makes the hair rise up on my arms, but we were kids, what did we know?

On one such adventurous day, we all decided to hike the canals and see if we could discover something interesting to do. We just never knew what might become entertainment.

There were maybe ten of us in all, though the only name I can recall was Candy, a girl in her teens, who played a mean tambourine in the band Ron was with (he was in grade school!). Ron had a BIG crush on her. I had a case of hero worship, I guess, as she was the first "older" girl that let me hang around with her, which was pretty cool! Anyway, we all followed the canal for a while and soon found ourselves out by the KRUX radio station.

And that's when things went a little crazy! We all spotted the Monkeemobile about the same time. Wow! The Monkees! OH MY GOSH!! They were right here, at our local radio station! The Monkees!

I recall just standing there with my mouth hanging open while Candy took off like a flash around the side of the building. Ron and the rest of us soon followed. As we rounded the corner, there was Candy trying to crawl through one of the station's window, bound and determined to get in and see Peter, Mike, Mickey, and Davy!

With Ron's help, she actually got boosted halfway through the window before some man came around the side and ran us off. Or I ran, at least. I'm a coward. I think the rest of them sort of trotted.

All the way home we whooped and hollered. Wow, the Monkees! Weren't we just the luckiest kids in the world! We talked (bragged) about seeing the Monkeemobile for days, and as I recall now, the story grew by leaps and bounds the more it was told. We all became the envy of our peers, at least for a while. Which for us, made us stars!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phoenix native here...Good days in Phoenix during the sixties. Wallace and Ladmo, Captain Super, KRUX, KRIZ, Shea Blvd. a mere dirt road & citrus groves in the NW valley. Thanks for sharing your story and my condolences on the passing of your brother. Sounds like Ron and I were right at the same age. Take care!

Anonymous said...

For years I was trying to think of a radio station I used to listen to when I lived off Camelback road in Glendale...their news started something like "From the east to the west, from the north to the south, this is..." something like that. I only lived in Glendale from age 6 through 11 or so, but I really remember and miss it. I remember working a snow cone machine at some benefit softball game, where Wallace and Ladmo were at. Once in a while when I hear soemone say they lived in Phoenix (I've lived around the world since then.), I ask if they ever heard orf Wallace and Ladmo (and rootbeer for breakfast, as I recall). Once in a while they remember them. Yesterday I finally remember the call-letters of a radio station I think I used to listen to --KRUX. I knew it had to be in the AM band (there's also a KRUX FM now), and I remember listening to stuff like Skeeter Davis, and the song with "maple surple" in it. I've been back past my old house since then...it's still there but has been remodeled. Ahhh, Phoenix (and Glendale), brings back really good memories. Much of my family still lives in Arizona, though I don't get to see them but every 10 or 15 years or so.

Anonymous said...

Phoenix boy here also. My brothers and sisters and I grew up with Walace and Ladmo. I't was the coolest show back then. Lived on Bethany Home Rd. I was born in 1955 and watched it until I moved to Texas in 1970. I remember going to legend city to see them. Never got a Ladmo bag but my best friend Wayne Patrick did. I googled this and it sure brings back some good memories. Take care

Anonymous said...

I was born and raised in Phoenix. I remember when I was a teenage boy of about 16 years old, my dream was to one day become a radio DJ. I sent a letter to KRUX explaining to them my dream to become a DJ. Well, to my surprise I received a return letter from them inviting me to come on down to the radio station! My dad let me drive his 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 all the way from our house on the east side of Phoenix, to the KRUX studios located somewhere on the west side of Phoenix. When I arrived to station on an early Sunday morning I was surprised to see only one person in the radio station. Me and the DJ had the whole radio station to ourselves. He pretty much let me wander around the station while he was busy doing his DJ thing. I never did grow up to become a radio DJ. But the memories of that early Sunday morning at KRUX radio 1360 are still with me 50 years later.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry to hear of Ron's passing..it's evident that he meant a great deal to you.

Very likely I am 'the man who chased' you guys away from the KRUX studios during Monkee-mania. You may not want to hear this but I actually did allow one group of kids to 'nominate' one of their group to come in and meet the Monkees. I can't recall her name but I do remember that her knees sort of turned to rubber when Davy gave a hug and kiss. Best regards, Jack Kelly

Sheri said...

Well, nice to meet you, Jack! And, I wouldn't be surprised if Ron and some of the older kids didn't go back to the station and Candy was the girl that got to meet Davy.

Who ever she was, she was one lucky little lady! Thanks for sharing!

Lynne said...

Don't know if anyone is still reading this, but, if so, do you remember a hit during the 60s called "Dusty" that was played on KRUX? The lyrics say "I've got this little girl in my eyes - they call her dusty". Who sang it? Must have been a regional band.

Unknown said...

Another Phoenix native- Reading makes me think I'd like to have known Ron. Your childhood reflects mine. I remember a big Radio-WAR between KRUX and KRIZ, and we westsiders obviously defended "the KRUX of AM radio." I find I use the word about once a month just because it was their call sign. We were so young, so naive. When Tony Evans of KRIZ said he didn't see what all the fuss was about the Beatles, he didn't really like them....well, what can you do in the face of a comment like that. KRIZ became the enemy, more evil and hated than...uh, than....NAZIS! Oh, the humanity. When Norwegian Wood hit the airwaves my older sister and her friends pointed out to us younger brats that you could tell what good guys Beatles were, because even though the singer (Paul, I think) was staying overnight in the girl's pad (in the song) he was a "gentleman" and went to sleep in the 'bath'. Ha ha! can you believe it? I recently saw a show about 'Beatles Uncensored' and it sounds like they had even more women than Kennedy or Mick and the Stones.
You, and your memories have awakened mine, and I thank you. I don't revisit "the good old days" often enough, I guess. Edie/Phx

Anonymous said...

FLOYD AND JERRY WESTFALL!
I have the 45 - along with their prior single, Summer Kisses.

Lynne said...
Don't know if anyone is still reading this, but, if so, do you remember a hit during the 60s called "Dusty" that was played on KRUX? The lyrics say "I've got this little girl in my eyes - they call her dusty". Who sang it? Must have been a regional band.

Anonymous said...

Lynne, I remember the song but I don't know who sang it. I wasn't in the KRUX broadcast area - I heard it during the mid-sixties on KOMA (Oklahoma City). I have searched for the recording numerous times with no luck.

Lynne said...

Please put "Dusty" on Youtube???!!!
Summer Kisses is out there, but no "Dusty"!

Anonymous said...

Email me at headpshop100@yahoo.com and I can send you a copy of Dusty and Summer Kisses by Floyd & Jerry!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a trip to discover this page. I, too grew up in Phoenix and fondly remember KRUX, KRIZ, KDKB. KRUX was located way out on West Camelback Rd. Back in the 60's, my girlfriends and I snuck out in the middle of the night and drove out to KRUX to meet the overnight DJ. We called and arranged to meet him. In our minds he was a handsome young man who we were all excited to meet. In reality, he was a short dark haired guy with dandruff. We were so disappointed...good lesson, however. Someone asked about Floyd and Jerry. I used to date Floyd. I remember his index finger...he only had half a finger and he smoked. He was very nice and Jerry was very cute. Not sure how I met them, but the Pendeltons were a group of boys I grew up with. They were an awesome band. I'm assuming I met Floyd and Jerry through them, but 50 years ago is a very long time ago. I love all the recollections everyone has shared here. Oh, here's a jingle from KRIZ: "Listen to the Beatles on fun loving K R I Z, channel 1 2 3. Does anybody remember that?

Prudence said...

Loved this memory of yours! "Swimming" in those canals, only to be fished out by the older kids. I could just imagine if I were to run into the "Monkee Mobile" as a kid, wow! (Theresa, borrowing Prudence's account.)

Sheri said...

I'm lucky to have survived childhood! But it sure was fun growing up the way we did. Always an adventure, never short of imagination!